Tuesday, June 27, 2006

One small step for ...

Well, before we get into that. Does a baby have to stay up for a certain amount of time before it counts as their first step? I mean, does a tenth of a second count?

Anyhow, before I left for work this morning, Zoë was standing by the couch (hanging on with both hands, as usual), facing it. I walked over to her and said, come here Zoë. I held my hands out to pick her up but kept them just out of reach. She looked behind herself, at me, and lifted one arm up to request a pick up. Well, I didn't budge, so I was still out of reach. She stretched even farther, but was still out of reach. Then she let go of the couch and took the tiniest step backwards toward me, then fell back toward the couch. She was kinda side ways at this point, with her left side against the couch. She had both arms held out, as did I, but I was still out of reach. She gave one of her frustrated grunts and took another small step toward me and then fell forward to her knees. I congradulated her on her step and picked up my briefcase to leave, at which point she exploded.

"What!?! You mean I just spent 3 minutes trying to get to you, ended up falling over and you're just going to leave?!?!."

So, at Bonny's behest, I picked her up and consoled her a bit.




So, does it count? I figure the step was part of her attempt to leap into my arms. But it was a step never the less.

I don't know. She's probably done something similar around Bonny, or when neither of us were watching, but this is the first one I've seen.

-J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home