Monday, October 06, 2008

CAKE!!!

So I made the cake for Annie's 18th birthday party. It turned out pretty cool, but man was it a pain to actually get it done. Not that the cake itself wasn't fun, but between Zoë's meddling and lack of a sufficient support structure it took ALOT longer than it should have. First, I spent a whole day baking cakes (9 layers total) and getting the decorations that had to have drying time done. The decorations that had to dry included the guitar topper (it actually had to dry, be painted and dry again) So, after I made it, I left it sitting on the island to dry overnight. The next morning we discovered Zoë had found a nifty snack just sitting out waiting for her. Poor guitar :( I immediatly made another and set it to dry somewhere higher. I make my icings. I make my fillings. I split the cakes to be filled. My filling needs some time to thicken up, so I decide to take ten. I go briefly out of sight of the kitchen and when I return there's a chunk of cake missing and a guilty looking, chocolate-handed Zoë running from the room. Well, I'm understandably upset, but Very luckily I had used the leftover cake mix to bake another cake(only enough batter to make it half as tall as the others, but she only ruinedhalf of one of the split cakes) At least I didn't have to go back to the store for more cake stuff. Late that evening, I finish! Hooray! I'm exhausted, the cake is hidden away(from Zoë) and I go to bed. The next morning "Emergency! Emergency!" My beautiful cake, my beautiful, beautiful cake :*( has collapsed. I spent two days making it and the party was the next day. After I get over my fit of dispair, I salvage what I can of the decorations and make a frantic run to the store. At least I had a better idea of exactly what needed to be done and when. I start baking furiously, making icing and filling, coloring fondant, and cutting out new decorations between rotating cake pans. (I was a regular side show) I had an idea of what had caused my cake to colapse and took all precautions to prevent a repeat.(no time to make third cake!) I finished everything i could finish without stacking the layers and hid them away for the night(never underestimate Zoë's ability to get into things!) Luckily, for me, the party wasn't until 5:30pm, so, after I assembled the cake(minus a few final touches to be added on location) ,I even had time to fix some chicken to bring!(potluck) The 50 or so minute car ride was a bit nerve-racking, but I had learned to build a better cake and it survived marvelously. I finished set-up on site and Annie was absolutely thrilled with the final product. I had trouble seeing anything but the imperfections, but then again I had been staring at it and it's twin(now in a heap in my fridge, and destined for Justin's co-workers) for the last 4 days. I'll probably like it more in a week or two when it's not so painful a memory. Despite the trouble producing it, I REALLY AM glad I was able to do this for Annie's birthday. She's such a sweetie and one of my best friend/sisters and she deserved an awesome birthday.
Anyhow, here are some pictures.























AND HERE, SADLY, LIE THE REMAINS OF THE FIRST ATTEMPT, MUCH LOVED AND DEARLY MISSED. MAY CUBICLE WORKERS CARRY YOU ON TO YOUR FINAL RESTING PLACE.

















On another note, heres a cake I made awhile back for my Sifu's birthday, but never got around to posting. Apparently, when someone says that a cake looks professional, I'm not supposed to say "No, I made it", but "Yes, it is. I made it" That's what Justin tells me anyhow.

The symbol on the bottom left is for the stlye I'm studying:Wing-Chun. He also teaches Mantis and Tai-chi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home