Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Such a...

We had Jason's mini birthday party last night. (We have their big, merged, birthday party in September.) We let him pick supper, rented a movie that he wanted for us to all sit down and watch, we had birthday cake and gave him a present. I didn't have any tissue paper for the gift bag. So, I left the gift in the plastic bag and then put one of the t-shirts I gave Jason (one I had when I was a kid) over the top of it.

We brought down the present (because I had put it on a high shelf to avoid it being gotten into early). He took out the shirt and I removed the bag, as though we were done with it. He'd seen the shirt before, because I gave it to him about three months ago. But, we made a big deal of it, like that was his present. (playing with him) He went over and showed it to Bonny. Then he says, "There's another bag in that bag." I'm say, "There is?" We take it down. He pulls out the plastic bag, but it was upside down, so the gift stays in the bag. I put the bag away, again, as though we are done with it. We proceed to make a big deal that he got a plastic bag. Bonny says, "A shirt and a bag. That's cool. Isn't it." He said, "Yeah." He did look a little disappointed, but was so gracious. He was fully ready to accept that this was all the presents he was going to get. He wasn't going to complain. He was just happy to get something from mom and dad.

Such a tender heart.

Zoƫ realized it was a joke. She let Jason know there was another present behind dad. (That wasn't actually true. It was still in the bag, but still. He got his real present and loved it.

I got to thinking about his purity, and really how good of a kid he is. I cried myself to sleep last night thinking about how my four year old son is a better person than I am and that I am daily seeing my bad habits rub off on him. It had been a while since I cried. Really cried. I must take that energy and better myself.

-J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home